Do You Have a Personal Injury Case Against a Government Agency? Learn What Special Considerations You Must Keep in Mind

If you have been injured due to the negligence or recklessness of a government official, you might have grounds for a personal injury case. However, these cases can be very different from cases involving a civilian. Keep reading to learn what a top personal injury attorney wants you to know about filing a case against a government agency and then call Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn at (310) 209-1600 if you require legal consultation.

Examples of Personal Injury Claims that Might Be Brought Against a Government Entity

There are several types of injuries a person might suffer that a California public agency could be liable for. For example, if you are involved in a car accident with someone who works for the water authority and they were at fault, then you could have a claim against them.

Other types of civil lawsuits against government agencies include accidents that result from improper training or supervision, sidewalk accidents, accidents on publicly owned property, premises liability accidents, school district accidents, police misconduct, bus accidents, and others.

Special Considerations that Affect California Government Agency Claims

Any type of claim that is made against a government entity must follow specific rules and procedures as laid out for these cases. This includes lawsuits against school districts, a city, a bus company, or any other government agency. In almost all cases, you will have only six months to file an administrative claim and the clock begins on the date of the accident.

Note that this is much less time than the standard two years you’d have to file a case that did not involve the government. After the notice has been filed, the government will investigate it and can choose to try and settle it if they believe it is to their advantage. Note that they will likely try to hide behind their special defenses, including being immune to lawsuits in certain cases. This is just one of the reasons that it pays to have the right attorney.

Do You Have Questions About Filing a Personal Injury Case?

If you have questions about filing a personal injury case, whether it is against a government agency or someone you know, your next move is to contact a personal injury attorney. When you work with Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn, you are working with an attorney who takes cases on a contingency basis. This means that if we take your case, you will not pay us until we win your case. If we do not win then you do not owe us anything for your legal fees.

Need Help? Call us anytime at (310) 209-1600