10990 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1040 Los Angeles, CA 90024 Schedule Your Free Consultation (310) 209-1600 info@michaelkahnlaw.com

Governmental Claims

When you think of personal injury cases, the first thing that leaps to mind is not filing a lawsuit against the government.  While many personal injury claims are between two individuals, there are situations where a victim of an accident will have to file a claim against a state or local government agency.

Special rules apply in these cases, including shorter deadlines and different processes for filling these types of claims.  If you have been hurt by an agent of the government in some way, then a skilled attorney can work with you to help you recover compensation for your losses.

At the Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn, we have experience handling claims against all types of entities — including the government.  Contact us today at (310) 209-1600 or info@michaelkahnlaw.com to schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our team.

Types of Claims that Can Be Brought Against the Government

While it may not be immediately obvious, California public agencies can be held responsible for injuries that arise from any number of accidents.  For example, if a local water authority driver runs a red light while on the job, hitting your vehicle and causing you to be injured, then you have a claim against that water authority and/or the municipality.  Generally speak, car accidents involving government vehicles can be the subject of personal injury cases against the government.

Other types of claims that may be filed against the government include:

  • Accidents related to inadequate training and/or supervision
  • Premises liability
  • School bus accidents
  • School district liability
  • Slip and fall accidents
  • Police misconduct
  • Bus accidents
  • Other types of motor vehicle accidents related to poor road maintenance
  • Sidewalk accidents
  • Accidents on public property

Importantly, these types of claims have different rules, which is why it is critical to work with a California governmental claims lawyer who understands this type of case.

Special Considerations for California Governmental Claims

Any type of claim against a government entity, such as a lawsuit against a school district, a bus company, or a city, must follow the rules and procedures set forth for this type of case in California.  In most cases, an administrative claim must be filed within 6 months of the date of injury.  This is different from the standard 2 year statute of limitations for personal injury cases in California. If a claim against a government agency is not filed within 6 months, then it will be barred.

Once notice of a claim is filed with the government agency, they will then have the opportunity to investigate it and settle it before a lawsuit is filed.  Importantly, government agencies have special defenses to lawsuits, including immunity in some cases.  That is why it is so important to have a skilled attorney who is familiar with these types of claims.

Questions? Contact Us Today.

If you have been injured in an accident involving a governmental agency, there is help.  An experienced lawyer can work with you to develop the facts of your case and present a strong claim for damages — all within the special time frame and rules set forth under California law.

The legal professionals of the Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn are skilled at handling all types of personal injury claims, including those involving governmental entities.  Contact us today at (310) 209-1600 or info@michaelkahnlaw.com to schedule a free initial consultation.

Need Help? Call us anytime at (310) 209-1600