No matter how much safety gear you may put on, if you are involved in a collision with a car, truck, or SUV as a bicyclist, you will likely suffer a serious injury. Even falling from a bike due to poor road conditions or obstructions can lead to severe injuries or even permanent disabilities.
At the Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn, we have more than 50 years of experience representing individuals who have been injured in all types of accidents — including bike wrecks. We have a proven track record of success, obtaining favorable outcomes for clients across California. We offer free initial consultations, and never charge a fee unless we recover money for you. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, contact us today at (310) 209-1600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Common Causes of Bike Accidents
According to a survey by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA ), there are two main types of bike crashes: falls and collisions with cars. While falls are more common, any type of crash between a motor vehicle and a bicycle has the potential to lead to serious injuries or even death.
Data collected by the NHTSA indicates that there are certain factors that play a role in fatal bicycle accidents. Deadly crashes happened most frequently:
- Between 6 and 9 p.m., when the light was low
- In urban areas (75%)
- For male cyclists, who are 8 times more likely to die in a bike accident than female cyclists
- When alcohol was involved (37% of all fatal bicycle crashes involved alcohol)
While each bike accident may have a different underlying cause, such as a dog running into the street or someone opening a car door without looking, there are some factors that are more common than others. These include:
- Hit by a car
- Poor road conditions
- Rider Error
- Colliding into a fixed object
You may be entitled to compensation if your accident was caused by the negligence or wrongdoing of another person or entity. A skilled California bike accident attorney can work with you to get you the compensation that you deserve.
What to Do After a Bike Accident
The steps that you take after a bike crash can not only help you recover physically from your injuries, but will also help you with any legal claim. If you are able to do so, follow these steps:
- Stay at the scene to talk to the police, even if you don’t think that you are injured.
- As soon as possible, seek medical treatment. Many injuries are not immediately apparent. Getting a diagnosis and treatment immediately can protect both your health and your legal rights.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, but do not admit fault.
- Take pictures and video of the scene, your bike and the vehicle, as well as any injuries that you might have sustained.
- Get the contact information for any witnesses.
- Write down your recollection of events as soon as you can.
Doing these things will help to protect you and build a strong case for compensation.
Contact a California Bike Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in any type of bike crash, you may be able to file a claim against the responsible party for your losses. This may include damages for lost wages, property damages, past and future medical expenses, and pain and suffering. An experienced California bike accident lawyer can advocate for your rights.
The attorneys of the Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn have significant experience helping individuals who have been hurt in all types of accidents, including bike wrecks. Contact us today at (310) 209-1600 or email@example.com to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.