The 3 Main Types of Damages You May Be Eligible for After a California Car Accident

If you’ve been injured in a car accident in the state of California then you may have legal rights to compensation for your damages. At Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn, we are here to assess your case and let you know what your options are. Read on to discover the three main types of damages that you may be entitled to and then reach out to us at (310) 209-1600 for a consultation.

  1. Medical expenses
  2. What most people first think of when they think of recovering damages after an accident are medical bills. What a lot of people don’t know is that even if your insurance company covered the cost of your medical care, you may still be entitled to the amount they paid, in addition to all out-of-pocket medical costs such as prescription costs, co-pays, medical devices (such as braces, boots, wheelchairs).

    If you have suffered from a traumatic or catastrophic injury, there is help for lifetime medical care as well. In a serious accident, the insurance carrier is likely to dispute the amount of long-term medical care. This is one of the reasons you need an experienced personal injury attorney on your side who can bring witnesses and experts to prove the present dollar value for your future medical costs.

  3. Lost income
  4. If you’ve been involved in an accident and were forced to miss work, or have long-term issues that may prevent you from working at capacity for the foreseeable future, you may be eligible for damages related to that lost income. Even if you didn’t actually lose wages, and were instead able to use paid sick or personal time off, you are entitled to be compensated for that lost time. If there’s reason to believe that your medical care will require you to miss work in the future, then that can be added.

    If you have lost earning capacity then we will fight for compensation for that too. This means that you’ve lost the ability to earn as much as you would have been able to earn before the accident. We will work with economists and other experts to prove our case for you.

  5. Non-economic damages
  6. Even if you weren’t physically injured, you may be eligible for damages related to emotional distress. If you had any type of non-economic damage, such as pain and suffering, disfigurement, anxiety, grief, loss of enjoyment of life, etc., then you may be awarded non-economic damages. There’s no fixed way to value these damages but a jury can award non-economic damages at their discretion.

Call today to talk to an experienced attorney

Have you been injured in a motor vehicle accident of any kind? If so, then it’s time to get help from a personal injury attorney. Reach out to Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn at (310) 209-1600 to get the process started. We’ll go over the basics of your case and provide you with a realistic idea of what you can expect. Call today to begin moving on from your accident.

Need Help? Call us anytime at (310) 209-1600