A shocking report shows that California is the most dangerous state in the country when it comes to dog bite attacks. If you have been injured by a dog, read on to find out what steps you should take to protect yourself. Then contact Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn at (310) 209-1600 to speak to an experienced personal injury attorney in California.
The Facts of the Report
The report was completed by State Farm Insurance and found that they paid more than $120 on just over 3,200 dog bite injury claims in 2018. This was nearly a 10% decrease from dog bite cases in 2017. However, the news was not all good: California had more dog bite cases than any other state not just in 2018 but in 2017 too. The total number for 2018 was 409 and it cost nearly $20 million just for State Farm alone – let alone the other insurance companies involved in similar personal injury claims.
Do You Know What to Do if a Dog Bites You?
If you have been bitten by a dog then there are a few steps you should take to protect your legal and financial rights.
- Determine who owns the dog. If at all possible, get the name and contact info for the person who owns the dog. Ask them for essential info like proof of rabies vaccinations for their pet. If you cannot find out who owns the dog, find out who was responsible for it at the time of the attack.
- Get medical care. If you have any blood, you should call 9-1-1 and get immediate care. Even if the bite did not puncture the skin and there is no blood, you should visit your primary medical provider to ensure your injuries do not become infected.
- File a police report. Yes, you should do this even if the injuries don’t seem to be serious. This starts a record of what happened and when it happened.
- Get as much information about the dog s you can. Is the dog licensed? Does it have a history of attacking people or animals? Has it been deemed “dangerous?”
- Get evidence form the scene. This includes photos of your injuries, torn clothing, and pictures of any relevant information at the scene. If anyone saw the bite, get their contact information.
Talk to a Personal Injury Attorney about Your Case
If you believe that you have grounds for a personal injury case against the at-fault party then you should contact a personal injury attorney right away. At Law Offices of Michael A. Kahn we are happy to provide a free legal consultation to ensure you know what your rights are and how to protect your financial rights. Call us now at (310) 209-1600 to get started.